Hysteroscopic resection of submucosal fibroid
Hysteroscopic resection of fibroids is a procedure where a thin telescope (hysteroscope) and small surgical instruments are used to remove fibroids. It is suitable for fibroids that are indenting into the uterine cavity (submucosal), however any fibroid tissue within the uterine wall will not be removed. It is also suitable for women who want to have children in the future.
Hysteroscopic resection of fibroids is usually done under general anaesthesia or sedation and as a day case.
This surgery aims to resect fibroids which cause heavy, painful periods and which interfere with pregnancy.
How long does the surgery take
Surgery time can vary, between 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the fibroid.
What can I expect at home
- You may feel drowsy in the first 24 hours and it is advisable that you do not drive.
- You may get pain and cramps at home and you can take simple painkillers such as paracetamol.
- You may get vaginal bleeding which may last for 2-4 weeks and you should not use tampons, only use sanitary towels.
- You may also see a pink/brown/yellow vaginal discharge in the first 2-4 weeks which is common as the womb heals.
- It is advisable that you use the shower instead of a bath in the first 2 weeks.
- You can have sex again as soon as the discharge stops.
- Depending on how quickly you recover, you can go back to work and continue with normal activities within about one week.
What can I expect from the surgery
- If your reason for the surgery is heavy periods or irregular menstrual bleeding, then your periods will likely be lighter and more regular afterwards. You will see improvements over the next 2-3 months.
- If your fibroids had made conceiving difficult then your chance of getting pregnant is improved after hysteroscopic resection. However, the ability to conceive depends on many factors and therefore it is difficult to predict who will be successful after resection of fibroid.
Find the nearest location
Patient seen for : Dilation and Curettage
Dr Alak Pal was great. He made me feel comfortable and explained everything clearly, including next steps. Would recommend.
Patient seen for : Hysteroscopy
Very professional and helpful in explaining everything. Helped me make an informed decision with this vast knowledge.
Patient seen for : Total Abdominal Hysterectomy
From the initial appointment, surgery, aftercare and to my final appointment, Mr Pal was extremely professional and understanding to my particular medical circumstances. The entire abdominal hysterectomy procedure was extremely satisfactory. He spent time listening to any concerns that I had and explained clearly and simply the process surrounding the surgery. I would highly recommend him for anyone contemplating such a procedure. Additionally, post-surgical care and appointments were excellent too.
Fantastic doctor, very pleased with consultation. Thanks